The first step to fixing a roof leak is finding a roof leak. This can be a real challenge, but in this article, we are going to give you some important tips and tricks to help you prevent roof leaks, or fix roof leaks when they happen. And for those jobs that you cannot handle yourself, we are going to give you a guide to figuring out your roof leak repair cost, and finding the very best roof leak repair specialist in Lafayette, IN. Remember, you should never ignore a roof leak; even if it seems like only a minor inconvenience, untreated roof leaks can seriously damage your home both cosmetically and structurally over time. Prevention is the best medicine, but when roof leaks happen, we want you to know how to handle them, and who to call if the job is too big for you. Below you will find some common causes for leaky roofs, and ways to fix them.
1. Faulty shingles You must resist the urge to buy the cheapest or most affordable shingles available on the market, as low-cost rarely ever means high quality. Low-quality shingles tend to lose their integrity eventually, and when this happens, roof leaks are almost certain to happen. To avoid this, you should only hire the best Lafayette roof repair and construction companies in the first place. Sometimes it is not just the quality of shingles that matters, as there could also be a degree of human error at fault for damage to the shingles. At other times, shingles may have been blown out of position by strong winds or rain. This sort of damage may be easy to detect, but sometimes you will need a professional evaluation to help spot the damage.
2. Compromised Valleys While damaged shingles or displaced shingles are probably among the main causes of roof leaks, depending on the structure of your home there could be other causes. For larger homes, it is common to find two sloping roofs that may be joined in a valley shaped structure. The point where the two roofs meet is called a roof valley. Generally, there are two types of roof valleys: an open valley is made of iron and a closed valley is made of overlapping shingles.
Frequently, the cause of a leaky roof may be damage to a roof valley. These punctures could occur in many ways, but human error is one of the most likely causes. Roofers and other construction or building personnel typical have to walk on your roof while they fix or construct it, and could create damage to them.
Roof valleys also tend to accumulate debris and these could also be contributors to any leaks you notice in your roof.
3. Broken Flashing Flashing is one of the most important components of your roof. It is usually a sheet of metal that is laid over the joints in a roof. You might also find flashing laid over the roof valleys of your home. Its primary job is to prevent water from leaking into your house, so when you have a leak, broken flashing is one of the first things you should look for.
4. Regular wear and tear All materials are prone to degradation with time. If your home is relatively old, your roof damage might not be directly attributable to any particular one of the causes above, but might just be a sign that you need a large scale renovation of your roof.
5. Attic condensation If you are experiencing roof leaks in the winter, condensation in your attic could be the culprit. Warm vapor will often travel through your home from the lower regions, and settle in the attic where it condenses and may cause mold, rot or simply drip through the ceiling. If treated swiftly, the damage may be minimized, simply by introducing proper insulation to your attic.
6. Clogged gutters If your roof gutter is leaking, decomposed bio-material such as leaves could very well be the cause. This is one simple maintenance issue that you can take care of yourself using simple tools such as a hose and some water. If you have a concealed or boxed gutter leaking, however, then you may experience substantial leakage within the house and should seek professional help immediately.
What Should I Do If I Have a Leaky Roof?
While it is possible to perform minor repairs on your own, as discussed above, for any major roof leak repair, or for proper diagnosis of a problem with a leaky roof, you are usually going to want to turn to a professional contractor or company that you trust to tell what is wrong, how to fix it, and to perform the actual repairs.
How Much Does Roof Leak Repair Cost in Lafayette?
While the costs of any repair job vary due to factors such as the extent and location of the damage, what tools and materials are required to fix it, and who you contract the job to, you should usually expect to pay somewhere between 300 and 1100 dollars to repair a leaky roof. A good roof repair service will be able to examine your roof and give you an estimate prior to beginning work on a job.
How Can I Find a Roof Leak Repair Company Near Me?
Just Google “roof leak repair”. Or skip all of the nonsense, and come check out Lafayette Roof Leak Repair, the industry standard in excellent service, quality work, and fair dealing. We promise to give your roof the care it deserves and needs, at a price worth paying. Call us today to get a quote for any or all of your roof repair needs; you'll be glad you did.